• Breaking News

    Thursday, August 26, 2021

    Ace Attorney That one Patrick meme but it's Gumshoe

    Ace Attorney That one Patrick meme but it's Gumshoe


    That one Patrick meme but it's Gumshoe

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 09:40 PM PDT

    Gaming Time

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 06:15 AM PDT

    An Unnecessarily Detailed Ranking of All Ace Attorney Characters by Crimes Committed (Series-Wide Spoilers)

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 05:26 PM PDT

    Am I the only one who would rather have a 3rd Great Ace Attorney than Ace Attorney 7?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 06:40 PM PDT

    I finished Great Ace Attorney 2 and it was one of the best games in the series and I feel like there's a lot to explore still with the world and characters they built for this series. I feel like the main series has stagnated a little bit because there are just too many games with the same characters. I guess that's why they went to a fake country for 6.

    submitted by /u/AnimalCrossingFanGuy
    [link] [comments]

    Phoenix and Maya art by Jourd4n

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 06:21 AM PDT

    Trucy's new assistants

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 10:08 AM PDT

    Just started playing and wow.. this game can get really difficult

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 04:33 PM PDT

    Fun fact: AJ was the game that made Yasuyuki Makino, the producer of TGAA, want to work for Capcom!

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 09:08 PM PDT

    Pray forgive the discourtesy of asking members of the public in the gallery who their favourite jury is

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 07:34 PM PDT

    I just finished Chronicles last night. Here are my very extensive thoughts on every single case in the game (full spoilers for both games). Very long post ahead!

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 03:36 PM PDT

    Hi all! It's been quite some time since I've posted around here. Life got busy and I had other things I needed to focus on. But over the last couple weeks I've been generally avoiding Ace Attorney content online because I've been playing through Chronicles, and I finally finished last night after marathoning the final case in one long sitting. And now cracks knuckles here I am to do my thing and post my unnecessarily extensive and not very organized thoughts on the whole endeavor.

    I played through the first Great Ace Attorney game pretty much right as the finished Scarlet Study fan translation released the last case. Absolutely adored the game. However, that was a while ago, so I quickly replayed (most of) the Chronicles version, to refresh myself and also get used to the translation differences before jumping into the second game. I also don't think I ever posted all my collective thoughts about TGAA1 in one place (I was probably too busy writing my 253rd essay on why Rise from the Ashes is the best thing ever), so I definitely wanted to do that here.

    I never played Scarlet Study's translation of TGAA2, as I was waiting for the full game to be finished, and then the official localization was announced. So that one is entirely new to me, start to finish.

    Also, I will just say: I have never gotten over the deep discomfort the name "Herlock Sholmes" gives me... After playing the original fan translation, he is cemented in my mind not only as Sherlock Holmes, but as my favorite ever interpretation of Sherlock Holmes. So if I accidentally say "Holmes" instead of "Sholmes" or something, that's why.

    Indeed, I find most of the name changes from the first game to be rather downgrades, but then I will entirely grant my preference is probably born of just having played the fan translation first. But Herlock will forever be Sherlock to me.

    If you want a TL;DR version: TGAA1 is a great game but also possibly the most uneven game in the series- it has some amazing stuff and some terrible stuff. TGAA2 is probably my favorite game in the series.

    So without further ado, here are my thoughts on every case in the game, and my thoughts on them now knowing the full context of everything going on.

    The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures

    The Adventure of the Great Departure: Now this is how you do a first case. If you think about it, this is the first time since the very first Ace Attorney game that the initial trial has needed to introduce us to an entirely fresh world and cast of characters... Even Apollo Justice had several returning faces in its opening trial. And this case does so beautifully.

    The opening half of the case eases us back into the world of Ace Attorney quite nicely, and does a good job of gently introducing the setting without being too jarring. It's a gentle, easy introduction to the game for newcomers and a gentle refresher for those of us who haven't seen a new AA game in many moons.

    And then things get intense. With the introduction of Jezaille Brett, we suddenly have way more depth to the historical context. Far from dealing with just a simple murder with the time period as a hook, this game is set against the backdrop of delicate international diplomacy and the modernization of the legal world. It's really exciting and it pulled me into the setting pretty much immediately.

    The way the game emphasizes the fragile state of the newly developing legal system is also quite brilliant. Brett just brazenly destroying evidence for the whole courtroom to see is a genuinely shocking moment, and the fact that we can't do anything about it is quite disheartening.

    This case also sets up massive intrigue to build on later. It's become AA's bread and butter to have the first case really just be a prelude to the overarching plot to follow, but few of the games lean into it quite this hard. We get absolutely no information as to who the heck this John H Wilson person even was (although to be honest I think the name change lessens the impact a lot; in the original, this was John H Watson, which any Sherlock Holmes fan would immediately pick up on and be horrified by), who Jezaille Brett really is, and why any of this happened in the first place. It's left as a tease, and one that isn't even touched on again until much, much later.

    Of course, knowing the full context of the assassin exchange, it makes perfect sense now why she committed such a brazen murder; she knew full well that there would be no consequences, and Mikotoba's assessment was correct- this was all just fun and games for her. At least, no legal consequences...

    Finally, am I the only one who gets a lot of discomfort looking back at this case knowing how horrible a person Judge Jigoku really is? It's also really disconcerting to look back on this case knowing Asogi had already agreed at this point to carry out an assassination.

    Overall an exceptional first case. As a case, it's very simple, but as an introduction to the characters, story, and world, it's absolutely masterful.

    The Adventure of the Unbreakable Speckled Band: An investigation-only case, a first for the series outside of the AAI spinoffs. It's our first encounter with the intrepid Great Detective, and it's an all around decent case.

    The Great Deductions absolutely steal the show here. This quickly became one of my favorite "special" mechanics in the series; only Psyche-Locks and Divination Seances really rival them for me. Sholmes quickly became one of my favorite characters in the series after just this case alone; he's so immensely entertaining and his constant banter is incredible. The moment we see him hanging from a coat hanger is by far my favorite moment in this case.

    This is also our proper introduction to Susato, who quickly became one of my favorite characters in the series. Incredibly wise and dignified, with a keen insight, but also not afraid to just throw somebody.

    Kazuma's "death" is tragic and some good emotion is wrung out of it. Its impact on Ryunosuke's character is palpable, and it provides a good driving force for him going forward. Of course, we now know that Kazuma actually survived, and it was Sholmes who orchestrated Ryunosuke as a replacement. A shocking development, but one that feels right at home in the vast web of conspiracies we end up uncovering.

    That's really all I have to say on this case. The lack of a trial shakes up the pacing and its impact going forward is huge, but the case itself is frankly unremarkable. It's completely passable Ace Attorney fare, but it's nothing special.

    The Adventure of the Runaway Room: Okay now we're really getting into things. This case is an absolute masterpiece, in my opinion.

    We hit the ground running as soon as we get to London. We're thrown into a case absolutely immediately with no background and forced to just get used to things on the fly. It's disconcerting and jarring, and throws us off our rhythm.

    And that rhythm never quite recovers. While the trial itself starts off mostly feeling like standard Ace Attorney fare (your client is the only one who could have done it, but there's just enough wiggle room for doubt, etc. etc), it doesn't take long to start developing into something more sinister.

    There isn't really a lot of room for someone else to have stepped in and done it, and the witness's testimony really seems pretty clear in its implications. But somehow just the right evidence keeps falling into your lap to keep the trial going a little longer. This feeling that something is deeply wrong is pervasive throughout the case, and it builds and builds in an absolutely beautiful way. Eventually you start to see that the evidence itself is being tampered with during the trial, and that is genuinely unsettling. This all hits a crescendo with McGilded mocking the court and just openly laughing at the proceedings in front of everyone, after which the trial swiftly ends with a deeply unsatisfying resolution. That feeling of wrongness is expertly built, and makes this trial extremely memorable and engaging even if it lacks the complexity of a lot of other cases.

    It's easy to forget, though, that this case is also our introduction to the Old Bailey, the jury system, Mael Stronghart, and Barok van Zieks. All of these introductions are handled with aplomb (the first time I heard Van Zieks' theme, I got chills), and they set the stage beautifully for how all these elements will affect things moving forward.

    Stronghart gave off the most obvious "big bad" vibes I've ever seen, and I knew pretty much immediately he was going to be the duology's final villain, but that's okay. Sometimes it's cool to see someone you just know is going to turn out to be very evil but can't do anything about it anytime soon, as it's eventually very satisfying to finally be able to take them down.

    The additional context afforded by TGAA1-5 elevates this case even further, but even as a standalone case the unsettled feeling and clear foul play makes it really stand out. One of my favorite cases in the series.

    The Adventure of the Clouded Kokoro: Alright y'all, I'm going to be honest here: I hate this case. It's easily a bottom 3 all-time case for me (the only competition it has for worst case in the series is AAI-3 and 2-1, though the latter is still at least hilarious despite being really stupid). When I said I replayed most of the first game in Chronicles form, this is what I meant; I skipped this case in my replay because I find it utterly unbearable (really glad they gave us the option to do that, by the way).

    Before diving into the negatives, first, the couple positives: this case is our introduction to Gregson, who is another absolutely phenomenal character. It also gives us a more proper introduction to Iris and lets us get to know Sholmes much better. It's also notable that somehow, episode four is the first time in this game we have an investigation and trial together in the same case. TGAA plays a lot with how the series is usually paced, and that can be good and bad. I think it largely works, though; the investigations drag on a bit long, but the excitement of the trials also goes on for much longer as a result.

    Okay and now on to the negatives. First of all, aside from John Garrideb, I hate everyone involved in this case. They're all deeply into the terrible and annoying side of the scale of Ace Attorney characters. The cop couple are fun for a couple minutes but they start grating really fast (also Chronicles for some reason decided to switch their names, which I thought was an absolutely bizarre choice). Joan Garrideb is the worst, as everyone knows. I don't dislike John Garrideb, but I don't have any particular love for him either; he's pretty neutral for me. Even the jurors for this case aren't all that fun.

    I know this is going to be unpopular, but I find Soseki to be the most obnoxious character in the series since at least Spark Brushel, if not Jean Armstrong. There's just no consistency to his dialogue or demeanor at all; it's like the couldn't settle on a personality for him so they just threw everything at the wall and had him bounce around to different traits at random. It's annoying and more than a little frustrating to have to endure his randomness in three separate cases.

    So yeah, I think this is the worst cast of a case in the whole of the Ace Attorney series, except for AAI-3, which is my other least favorite case; I put a lot of value in having a good cast of characters, and this case was about as wide of that mark as it could possibly have been.

    There's also the matter of a domestic abuse situation involving a disabled person being mostly played for laughs, even getting a whole Great Deduction out of it. It went beyond lighthearted slapstick, I feel, and I found it really distasteful and staggeringly unfunny. The game tried to treat the situation with the usual Ace Attorney levity, but it fell absolutely flat on its face.

    I have more small quibbles as well, but that's most of why I dislike this case. I found it deeply unpleasant and an absolute chore to endure. Which is why I skipped replaying it in Chronicles.

    Luckily though, if you've made it this far, you've already encountered most of the negativity I have to express. This case is abysmal, but it's the only case in the entire duology I dislike.

    The Adventure of the Unspeakable Story: Okay first of all, nice bait and switch the name. The story in question really has only the most tenuous connection possible to the events of the case. Yet, it builds up a great deal of intrigue on which the sequel can follow up. The Hound of the Baskervilles is probably the most famous Sherlock Holmes story, and building such an air of deep darkness surrounding the Ace Attorney universe's version of the case is really a fascinating choice.

    Moving on, I just have to say I love Gina so much. She's such a delight to talk to, her design is great, and her character arc is really well-executed. She's probably my favorite character in the duology.

    I'm a bit torn on how I feel about the first half of this case. On the one hand, it sets up the crime really well, has some fun deductions, and introduces a lot of necessary exposition. On the other, it is very, very slow. The deductive duel with Eggert Benedict (the only name in the game I feel is an improvement to the original names, even though it's only a few letters. I just love this stupid pseudonym) is great, and does a good job at setting him up as a mysterious and incredibly flamboyant villain. His prancing about is just delightful.

    I really appreciate how if you're paying close attention, you can actually catch the peephole twist basically immediately upon the murder. I would guess very few people picked up on that- I certainly didn't- but I imagine those who did would have had quite the burning question on their minds throughout most of these proceedings.

    The tie-in to case 3 is pretty brilliant, I think. This case follows up on those events, and hugely expands the scope of what we thought happened there. It went from what seemed to be a loan shark taking out an overdue debtor, to a huge web of conspiracy involving selling state secrets. And the capstone on all of this is the mysterious list we uncover in the ending, which we now know details the assassin exchange. The way this case starts to scrape away the first layer of the conspiracy underway to hint at the true depths of the events underway (it's described at the ending as a deep dark cave, an apt descriptor) is very clever, and it still provides just a plain old quality murder mystery to boot.

    The Skulkins are really fun witnesses (although I will say, their original names of Nemmy and Tully Tinpillar just ring much funnier to me), and the running joke of them thinking Gregson is their long-lost brother is fantastic.

    Speaking of Gregson and hinting at deeper things afoot, seeing Gregson, the renowned detective, acting so downright villainous was quite a shock. It didn't quite hit me at the time how odd it was that a Scotland Yard inspector would be in a position to be privy to and be working to protect major state secrets, but in hindsight that was weird and should have been a good hint that there's more to Gregson than has been let on thus far. Of course, knowing what we learn later about his shady activities, this is nothing, but it once again scrapes away the top layer of Gregson's true self.

    That's really what this case is about, in the end. It's about reaching the very first layers of the massive onion that is Stronghart's great conspiracy. We don't even link him to it until near the end of the next game, but everything going on here has taken place due to his massive plot, and looking back this is where the scope of things starts becoming clear. The first case set the stage, and the final case has finally revealed the magnitude of what's at stake.

    I also just have to gush for a moment about the final act, where you have to figure out where the disk is. I had a stunning moment of realization a couple minutes before I was asked whether to search Gregson, where it suddenly struck me that he no longer had the disk. It was a palpable, exceptional moment of realization that felt fantastic when it turned out I was right.

    I haven't said much about the workings of the murder mystery itself. I don't have a ton to say about it other than, it's very solid. It's good old-fashioned Ace Attorney, piecing things together slowly until the bigger picture reveals itself. Susato's ploy with the trapdoor-creator was brilliant and it added a nice little twist to her character, having the foresight to see what the culprit might try to pull and laying an airtight trap for them.

    The ending scene with Barok van Zieks was an intriguing inclusion. It seems to hint at something much deeper going on with his hatred of Japanese people, but at the same time it almost humanizes him a bit.

    Overall, an awesome case start to finish. A great finale that sets the stage brilliantly for the next game.

    Overall thoughts on Adventures: I really love this game, despite how uneven it is. Case 1 is really good, 2 is just okay, 3 and 5 are phenomenal, and 4 is atrocious. It definitely left me hanging when I played the fan translation, but I actually think that led me to enjoy the second game even more; I had plenty of time to wonder what was really happening and formulate predictions and theories. The story and character development are fantastic, even if there is still a lot of mystery in the end. Definitely in my upper half of games in the series.

    Also the soundtrack is amazing. I'll probably make a whole other post about that at some point, but I just wanna say here that I love it. The credits theme in particular is among the best in the series.

    The Great Ace Attorney: Resolve

    The Adventure of the Blossoming Attorney: I have to open by saying: playing as Susato was absolutely fantastic. It was not only a cool twist and a great way to bring the story back to Japan to follow up on Jezaille Brett, but it was great from a gameplay perspective to provide a worthwhile excuse to tutorialize. Plus, it was also a clever way to reintroduce and reemphasize for players the time period in which the games take place- one where women aren't allowed to set foot in court in Japan.

    This case is another excellent first case. Seeing Jezaille Brett dead at the very outset was a shock, to say the least. This just added fuel to the conspiracy fire, although it turned out that it was just vigilantism, not part of a broader plot this time. What did fuel that fire was Menimemo's rambling at the end of the case, accusing Yujin Mikotoba of being involved with Asogi's death. Intriguing...

    It was an absolute pleasure seeing Hosonaga again; he's a fun character (even if his cough is legimitately distressing to listen to). It was decidedly less of a pleasure to see Soseki again, though his fairly minor role in this case didn't detract too much.

    The mystery is pretty standard Ace Attorney case 1- a couple key twists and that's the case. And that's fine, coming off the behemoth that is case 5 of the previous game. It's refreshing to have something simple but still with a bit of spice.

    I must say, I expected Rei to play a much more prominent role in this game given her very prominent position on the cover art. She's cool though, even if she's only present for a little bit.

    It's also still very uncomfortable to look back at this case now, knowing Jigoku is so horrible.

    Overall a great case 1, and a good start to the game. And again, playing as Susato is super cool.

    The Memoirs of the Clouded Kokoro: I did not mince words with my opinions on this case's predecessor; it was real bad. But luckily I have nothing to mince words about here- this case is excellent. One of the best "filler" cases in the series, I think. The only complaint I have is that Soseki is here, which doesn't detract too much from an otherwise awesome mystery.

    First of all, the fact that we once again don't actually have a murder on our hands is a cool twist on the usual Ace Attorney formula, with one further twist than we've seen up to this point: the victim is alive, well, and conscious, and even testifies.

    And what a victim he is. Shamspeare is absolutely hysterical, his utterly over-the-top demeanor never failing to amuse and his hilariously inappropriate use of Shakespearean language always being just pitch-perfect. It's also a neat twist that he has a great deal of incentive to implicate Soseki, even if Soseki didn't actually do it.

    Getting into the details of the gas system feels like an odd diversion at first, but it ultimately ends up being one of the most interesting things about this case. Shamspeare seems like a buffoon, but his method of trying to murder his upstairs neighbors is actually very devious indeed.

    And the twist that the poison is on the gas pipe is an incredible stroke of genius on the part of Olive Green. Having the victim of a previous case be the culprit in a new one is a bold choice, and the fact that her plan would only trigger if Shamspeare was indeed the killer of her fiance is a cool twist.

    The collar at the end of the case immediately ties in with the story from the previous game in a very chilling way, and Sholmes going from jovial and happy to deathly serious is quite jarring, and brings us right back to the conspiracy underpinning everything.

    Overall I love this case. It's just relentlessly clever, with some very enjoyable characters and some neat twists. And the ending of the case signals things coming very soon.

    The Return of the Great Departed Soul: Finally, some answers! It's here that we finally learn of the Professor, and the shadow that case cast over London for the last 10 years. It also completely clears up what really happened to Asogi's body- in that there isn't one.

    The characters here are generally awesome. Madame Tusspells is wonderful and has one of the coolest character themes in the series. Harebrayne is a bit grating at times but overall is enjoyable, and the way he repatedly tanks his own defense's arguments is just hilariously absurd. Enoch Drebber has one of my favorite character designs in the game, and his jerky, robotic animations are simultaneously really cool and viscerally uncomfortable. And Courtney Sithe is quite intimidating indeed.

    The minor characters are fun too. Gotts crying in umlauts is incredible.

    Also we finally see Gina again (who I will reemphasize, is my favorite character in the duology and is just generally the best!) and it's awesome to see her having turned her life around. I was kind of surprised to see Gregson again, to be honest- I would have expected him to have been fired or deeply demoted after the shenanigans he pulled in TGAA1-5, but I suppose that's just another piece of foreshadowing as to his true identity.

    It's also here that we first start to get a picture of how the image we have of Barok van Zieks doesn't tell the whole story. Harebrayne's recollections of a very different man hint at how there was some great tragedy in life. Of course, having played Ace Attorney games before, I recognized immediately that this obviously is going to tie into whatever massive past case is going to be coming to light, but it was still some great foreshadowing nonetheless.

    Looking back, it's clear everything is starting to come to a head in this case. We have another former defendant of the Reaper meeting an untimely demise, we have the Professor case rearing its ugly head, we have Asogi's return, and we have some deepening of our understanding of everything going on. It's remarkable just how much is going on in this case, really. And the final twist that Courtney Sithe actually killed Odie Asman was definitely disturbing, and also one of the hardest testimonies in the game to crack for me.

    The conclusion to this case comes as quite a shock, and it's clear at the end that we are nearing the endgame. Of course, Asogi being the masked assistant is not remotely surprising at this point- in fact it was very obvious from the first time we met him, and that's without taking into account the incredible lack of subtlety in this case's title. But the revelation that the Professor is supposedly his father is indeed very surprising. The fact that he's Japanese also starts to pay off the foreshadowing Van Zieks gave in the end of the previous game- hinting that this may be the betrayal that was referenced.

    The mechanics of the case are also excellent. Trying to unravel the trickery orchestrated by Drebber, from the balloon to the trapdoor and everything in between, is a lot of fun and leads to some cool moments and realizations. I don't have a ton of specific stuff to call out here, it's just all great.

    This is a very, very long case, but the pacing is quite good (aided by returning to the more traditional Ace Attorney rhythm of investigate-trial-investigate-trial). It brilliantly leads into the final story in this awesome game, and it's all around another awesome addition to the Ace Attorney collection.

    Twisted Karma and His Last Bow/The Resolve of Ryunosuke Naruhodo: I'm just going to talk about these at the same time because they're two halves of the same case. Much like Dual Destinies, I don't really think there's any good reason to separate these into different cases. In both DD and Chronicles, the cynic in me just thinks they split cases like this to pad out the episode count. I think it's much more justified here than in DD, given the extremely different nature of the proceedings in the latter, but I still don't think it's needed or justified.

    Regardless of that quibble, though, this case is a masterpiece. I was genuinely devastated when Gregson died, as I had grown quite attached to him, and watching Gina struggle through her grief and blossom as an actually pretty solid detective was very moving.

    Of course, Gregson has been established for a while as being a bit shadier than you would want of a detective. When Van Zieks said early on that he was investigating Gregson, that got my gears turning and it didn't take long for me to hit upon the idea that Gregson was indeed the Reaper. I didn't want to believe it and of course, a lot of that picture was missing, but the way the game gives you enough hints to land on that conclusion if you're thinking about it well before the reveal is laudable.

    The minor characters are fun as ever here. Beppo's return was a little depressing but also entertaining. Venus looks way too similar to Espella, and I'm not sure why they went with that particular design. The redheaded scammers were just hilarious, especially the tall one trying desperately to be some kind of mastermind while his colleagues just spilled everything.

    I also decided to just absolutely immerse myself in TGAA-5 and I played through the entire thing in one long sitting. Absolutely worth it.

    I have to shout out the music here. Oh man, the music. The decision to overhaul the soundtrack for the finale case was a stroke of genius, and it really made the trial feel that much more intense and monumental. As I said before, I'm saving a full discussion of the soundtrack until some later time, but I had to at least mention here how good this is.

    Lots of cool touches and nods here. The origin of the Von Karma name being Asogi's sword is really clever (in the Japanese editions, the Von Karma surname is instead Karuma). Also can we just talk about how Gorey actually updated the autopsy report????

    This case delves into some really dark stuff. Daley's scapegoating is genuinely tragic, as is the effect Gregson's death had on Gina, not to mention Van Zieks finding out about his brother's true nature. It is, at the same time, incredibly clever how all the pieces fit together. This is a very complicated mystery, and the drip feed of clues and reveals paints the picture very clearly and in just such a way that each reveal has maximal impact. I'd even go so far as to say that this case rivals Rise from the Ashes as my favorite Ace Attorney case; if you've ever read my contributions to this sub, you know that's about as high a praise as I can give this trial.

    Seeing Stronghart take the bench was terrifying, if not exactly unexpected. If there was any doubt left that he was the Big Bad, this quashed all of it. I didn't quite realize just how deeply he was integrated into everything here.

    Finally getting answers on that darn list was quite satisfying. I had several theories about what that list could mean, especially after learning Jezaille Brett's real name (and Asa Shinn is one of the least subtle pun names in Ace Attorney history). But I never guessed Asogi was recruited as an assassin of all things. Looking back at the first game with that in mind paints a very different picture of this seemingly upstanding young man.

    The reveal of Klint as the Professor was excellent, but by that point I had already pretty much figured that point out. As soon as it was pointed out that one of the victims was the previous Lord Chief Justice, though, it was clear that Stronghart was involved somehow. It was already obvious ages ago that the assassin exchange was his doing, as well as the Reaper. But this one was news to me.

    Ultimately the way all these disparate plot threads slowly converge on Stronghart is very satisfying to see. (AAI2 spoilers) He very much reminds me of Simon Keyes, in that he orchestrates everything without ever really dirtying his hands himself. However, Keyes was ultimately brought down because he did end up killing a man (something I always thought was a little bit of a cop-out for bringing him down). The fact that Stronghart actually never killed anyone, and managed to get everyone else to do his dirty work for him, is quite remarkable, and the fact that he pulled the judiciary to his side in spite of all that makes him one of the most formidable villains in the series. He's only brought down by the same force that has oppressed the story since the first case of the first game: political pressure. It's oddly fitting that it isn't ultimately proving his guilt that defeats him, but bringing down the full force of the government he tried to bend to his will on his head. He also has the best breakdown in the series, easily; it's absolutely magnificent in its scope and befits an enemy as strong as him.

    The eleventh hour deus ex machina brought in by Sholmes and Iris with a hologram device stretches suspension of disbelief about this technology to the breaking point, but it was so cool that I honestly don't even care. Sholmes bursting into the courtroom and the rapid, orchestrated version of his theme starting to play, is one of the most magnificent moments in the series, and the way he turns the entire judiciary to our side is masterful; we couldn't have had a better "last bow" than this. Same goes for the last great deduction with Sholmes and Mikotoba- just spectacular, and Mikotoba's tap dancing is on point.

    Speaking of these characters, I just need to gush about the way the entire mythos of Sholmes is turned completely on its head. I absolutely love this universe's interpretation of the Sherlock Holmes and I'm going to be using the Holmes-mythos character names here because the reference is clearly intended. To summarize: In this world, the Sherlock Holmes stories are actually just very embellished nonfiction, or at the very least "based on a true story." However, Sherlock isn't quite as brilliant as the stories suggest. His powers of observation are unrivaled, but his actual deduction often leaves much to be desired. However, the stories depicting him as an unfathomable genius have exploded in popularity, to the point where they're massively inflated his own ego and have made him believe he's much more brilliant than he actually is. In addition, his biographer is a young girl, who mistakenly believes her father, John Watson, was Holmes' partner. However, in reality, Watson was just some guy with no relation to Holmes, and this very popular character is all based on a misunderstanding. His actual partner was a Japanese exchange student, Mikotoba, and the two solved many cases together. Like... I have no idea how the writers came up with this stuff, but it's just absolutely incredible. This is easily my favorite interpretation of the Holmes universe that I've ever seen (and I've read all the old Sherlock Holmes stories- I'm definitely a fan), and this combination with the Ace Attorney universe is a match made in heaven.

    It's also super weird to process that John Wilson- a character we've been wondering about since game 1 case 1 and who we've believed to be Iris' father for almost as long- just turned out to be some guy that did an autopsy once. To have a character so precipitously drop in importance and relevance, especially one who carries such an important name (again, the original game had him as John Watson) was just very surreal. It was a good bait and switch.

    Finally getting a resolution to Iris' parentage was also really cool, after all the twists and untwists that accompanied that plot thread. It's a bit unnerving that her father was Klint van Zieks and it's very odd to think of her as Barok van Zieks' niece, but nonetheless it is a satisfying conclusion to a long-standing mystery.

    Also the fridge horror of Jigoku standing there posing for pictures with Gregson's body in the trunk is super unnerving.

    To close, I just want to point out one thing. This is how you raise the stakes in an Ace Attorney game. Many of the recent games in the series have felt the need to constantly up the scope and stakes of their finales, culminating in SOJ with toppling an ENTIRE GOVERNMENT. But most of these recent attempts have fallen flat for me, mostly because they don't feel earned and they don't feel sincere; they feel largely like attempts to keep 1-upping the drama we've had before without the substance to back it up. Here, on the other hand, the buildup is very slow and deliberate, and the incredibly complicated web of events slowly starts becoming clearer and pointing in a very specific direction. Taking down Stronghart feels incredibly earned because of how much buildup he and the conspiracy around him received. No hate on SOJ, I love it, but I do think the finale of that game is very flawed in part due to "stakes creep." TGAAC solves that issue gorgeously.

    Anyway, my writeup of this case has been even longer and more rambling than usual, but that's because there's so much to talk about here. I've barely touched on Kazuma's character development and the reveal that he had a lot more going on beneath the surface, or Van Zieks' softening towards Ryunosuke, but those are also excellent. I'm sure I'll have many more things to say on this case in the weeks and months to come. It's a masterpiece, and an absolutely perfect finale to what has turned out to be an incredible duology.

    Overall thoughts on Resolve: A masterpiece, plain and simple. I don't think any other game in the series has anywhere near the consistently high quality of this game. This is the only game in the series where I can point at every single case and say, "that case is excellent." The finale pays off absolutely everything in these games in the most satisfying way imaginable. To me, it represents the absolute best of what the Ace Attorney games can be, and I'm so grateful that this game finally made it to the English speaking world. I just finished the game yesterday so I need to give it a bit of time to settle before seriously reevaluating my rankings, but right now my instinct is that this is easily my new number 1 game in the franchise. It's that good.


    Anyway, those are my thoughts on the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. Incredible gaming experience and well worth the wait.

    With a post this extensive, I no doubt forgot some stuff, which I may edit in later or just post elsewhere. If you read this far, wow you are patient. But thanks! I'd like to hear your thoughts as well, and if you think I'm wrong on anything.

    submitted by /u/SuperGanondorf
    [link] [comments]

    Put makeup on Klav after someone on Discord asked me to.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 12:44 PM PDT

    Nahyuta by 無理無理芸人 on Pixiv

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 10:59 AM PDT

    GAA Tattoo Idea

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 06:09 PM PDT

    If there was a AAI3, what do you think should happen in that game?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 05:19 PM PDT

    I loved AAI2, so a third installment would be greatly appreciated. I hope that it takes place after SoJ, and we can see Kay as an adult. I also want to see Franziska again

    submitted by /u/No-Balance-2226
    [link] [comments]

    Drawing I did for amstud today lol

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 04:13 PM PDT

    Why was the game structure of Dual Destinies so odd?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 07:05 PM PDT

    I mean, case 1 is actually the third case chronologically speaking, and it goes right after the short first trial of case 4. The question is: why did the writers do this? Starting 'in media res' is usually used to tell what happened to get to the situation the plot starts in. Dual Destinies, however, gives us two filler cases and tells us about a friend of Apollo, but the game never explores their relationship and when the game comes back to the moment it started, Apollo's friend is already dead and his struggle as a result of it, completely skipped.

    Why didn't the game focus on this relationship instead of throwing us two filler cases? These two cases felt like a waste of time and the way this 'in media res' was used outright bad writing: it wasn't necessary at all.

    submitted by /u/GarouAPM
    [link] [comments]

    Shelly de Killer AA7 edit

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 03:52 AM PDT

    Finished replaying the original trilogy, wanted to rank the cases.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 06:45 AM PDT

    AA Character tier list but ranked by if I would date them or not (AA1-AA3)

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 01:18 PM PDT

    Anybody know what this clip is from and if there’s a way to download it?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 03:24 PM PDT

    If you were to prevent any culprit from committing any crime, who would it be and why? *Spoilers for all games*

    Posted: 26 Aug 2021 12:00 AM PDT

    Turnabout Big Top's Acro is who I would stop him from murdering his foster father. I would back him off from killing Regina and instead understand the ways human beings are.

    Another contender is Ga'ran from 6-5, to make her support her sisters reign and turn a new leaf.

    submitted by /u/itsinsanealready
    [link] [comments]

    Chronichles is really testing my English knowledge

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 06:39 AM PDT

    English is not my first language, but I never had any particular problem in playing all the Ace Attorney games. The first 4 games up to AJ had a translation in my native language (Italian) but it wasn't very good and I actually switched to English very soon.

    But in GAA1 and GAA2, with the official translation, oh gosh, the game is truly a test of English and its various dialects and accents.

    This is especially due to the people that speak in strict English and have the habit to truncate or pronounce words differently, due to their heavy London accent. This happens with characters such as Gina. "SAH!" "I got nuffin'" for example. They also often truncate the H. 'ave instead of have. Stuff like that. I can 99% of the time understand what they're trying to say, by associating the word that is written to the textbox with the sound they would be making. Still, it does require some effort, and for me it is not simple and straight as reading "normal" English.

    Then here comes a character that speaks in Elizabethian English. I do remember simple stuff such as "Thee" being an archaic "You", but it's not enough, and sometimes it feels like I'm reading a different language altogether. "Get thee to a nunnery" what does that even mean?!? I had to Google it!

    Ironically, the easiest ones to understand... Are the Japanese. They speak very plain and simple-to-understand English. I think it fits since that's not their first language, so they learned it without accents or archaic words (although Ryuunosuke proves to be much better than me when it comes to understanding Elizabethian English)

    Anyone else having this experience? While this makes it a bit more difficult for me to grasps concepts on the fly, I do appreciate the variety of speaking manners among the cast. And I'm also learning something new, I suppose.

    submitted by /u/RashFaustinho
    [link] [comments]

    Susato Mikotoba wallpaper requested by u/Esingar��

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 02:10 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment