• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 27, 2021

    Ace Attorney If you can't beat them, whip them

    Ace Attorney If you can't beat them, whip them


    If you can't beat them, whip them

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 08:58 AM PDT

    Somebody once told me to do wall art of Trucy,I couldn't get that thought out my head.

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 06:52 PM PDT

    More of the first responders AU now with larry- (p.s and yes- i'm not sure i can trust this man with my life HAHAHAHHA)

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 08:42 AM PDT

    My Favorite Figure in My Collection

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 07:37 AM PDT

    Various Characters with Aura Blackquill's Animation File

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 03:26 PM PDT

    The Ultimate Chaotic Duo.

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 09:24 PM PDT

    among them

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    Oops I’m at it again throwing way too money at Edgeworth’s VA

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 06:25 PM PDT

    I’m not sure how this sub feels about Klapollo, but here’s Klapollo!

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 10:26 AM PDT

    I just finished Spirit of Justice, and I absolutely adored it.

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 04:43 PM PDT

    Wow. What a ride. Honestly, this is tied with Trials and Tribulations as my favorite game in the series so far, and I'd even call it superior in several ways. I adore everything about this game, both from a conceptual and presentational standpoint. The setting of Khura'in lends itself to a political discussion perfect for an Ace Attorney game. Unlike the Jurist System and whatever The Dark Age of the Law was supposed to be, we can examine the susceptibility to a court's corruption without awkward and unnatural real-world commentary. Khura'in is such a wonderful setting and feels like a natural evolution of Kurain Village; we're able to see where all of the Fey Clan aspects of the trilogy originate from, and it's fantastic.

    Khura'in isn't the entire game however, and that's another thing I find fantastic about Spirit of Justice - it's structure. Despite my love for Trials and Tribulations, I can't deny that the pacing is noticeably off, and this is the most minimal example of this in the series. Most Ace Attorney games have felt like filler until the story the writer wanted to tell is told in the final case, and this is especially present in the first two. Apollo Justice attempted to break out of this mold, but was too much of a mess structurally to deliver on this premise leading to Turnabout Succession's weakening because of it. Spirit of Justice on the other hand has three main-story cases with two fantastic filler cases in between, ensuring that the pacing is brisk - but not so fast that we're never given a chance to breathe. In my opinion, the Magical Turnabout and Turnabout Storyteller are some of the greatest filler cases in the mainline series, and this allows the entire game to flow smoothly without the filler feeling with a barrier to a more interesting main story. I adore the way this is set up, and I hope that the following games continue with this pattern.

    The character writing in Spirit of Justice is phenomenal in every case, and heightened my perception of certain characters I never truly cared about before to now loving them. Trucy is an obvious example of this; her development in The Magical Turnabout is so effortlessly executed and feels like a natural progression of her arc from Apollo Justice, allowing her to become a character I felt a connection to once the trial was over. Apollo was a character I always viewed as underdeveloped, and while Turnabout for Tomorrow was a decent start to flesh him out - I felt it left quite a bit to be desired. Turnabout Revolution, however, made him a character I immediately cared for; I finally felt as though he came into his own as both a protagonist and a lawyer, his nuanced relationship with Dhurke ushering in effortless development and some of the most memorable character interactions in the series. As for the new characters, they're incredible. Dhurke, Inga, and especially Rayfa are written ingeniously and have so much subtle depth, characterization, and development that allows them to feel like some of the most human characters on the franchise. The duality between Dhurke and Inga's paternal relationships are pulled off wonderfully, and struck a deep chord in my heart due to my similar experiences with my father. Rayfa's dynamic with our protagonists is so refreshing, and her arc of coming into her own and realizing her full place in the kingdom she's soon to rule is executed wonderfully. Many of the culprits and witnesses were fantastic as well, with Retinz and Uendo having larger-than-life presences despite their relatively minimal screen time.

    The main plot of Spirit of Justice itself is insane. There are so many moving parts to its grand story, with countless subtle hints of foreshadowing. From Inga's prosopagnosia to Ga'ran and Amara's dynamic, to the subversion of the monarchy and rebellion - so much is built up throughout The Foreign Turnabout and The Rite of Turnabout (which is in a fantastic case in it's own right, pun intended) that makes Turnabout Revolution such an emotional rollercoaster of epic proportions. Spirit of Justice develops its new cast with the same amount of nuance that the trilogy did in a third of the time, and I found Turnabout Revolution to be nearly as impactful as Bridge to the Turnabout because of it - a feat I never thought would be possible to pull off.

    Despite my gushing, I will admit that the game has its flaws. While I do enjoy Ga'ran, she's on the weaker side of Ace Attorney final villains, and Nahyuta's arc could've been given some more time to fully resonate (even though I do love his force as a rival and as Apollo's distant brother). Yet I was so emotionally invested in all the brilliance Yamazaki brought to the table that I can forgive these relatively minor issues. The ending of Turnabout Revolution is absolutely perfect, and I feel as though Apollo and Phoenix's arcs are now perfectly wrapped up, leading for the perfect chance to have Ace Attorney 7 be the Athena Cykes game she so desperately deserves. Overall, I can confidently say that this was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had, and it's a journey I will not soon forget. It's a game that resonated with me so deeply that it's changed my perspectives on my own family dynamics and how I view the political climate around me, and that is an experience so rare to have when consuming fiction. Art thrives on the personal connections we the audience makes with it, and that is an invaluable aspect of storytelling. Criticize the game all you'd like, but those who call it "soulless" or "nothing more than a cash-grab" may just be the soulless ones themselves. I witnessed firsthand the heart poured into every facet of this game, and for that reason, I will never yield when witnessing these complaints, like a dragon.

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/-polarbearcafe-
    [link] [comments]

    Turnabout Goodbyes' 1st trial,but Judge has a spine.

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 11:07 AM PDT

    I made paperboy-styled sprites for Wright and Edgeworth!

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 06:57 AM PDT

    Why I Don't Want Juries to Return

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 10:04 PM PDT

    I'm not sure about right now, but I have seen many AA7 posts in which fans have talked about wanting juries to return. Many fans say that they disliked how Capcom did away with them in DD and hasn't brought them back to the main series. However, I feel that more and more people have begun to want juries to return as more and more people play DGS (Side note: I originally thought that all of DGS' cases had juries, but one person corrected me by saying that only the British trials have juries). I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or the majority when I say that I don't want juries to return for several reasons, which I will now explain:

    1. Horrible representation of trial by jury in AJ: I know "horrible" is a strong word, but I feel that it is the right word. For one, the localization team seemingly confused the words "jurist" and "juror." Thalassa Gramarye has the designation of "Jurist No. 6," but this is wrong. A "jurist" is a person with extensive legal knowledge and can refer to a lawyer, judge, etc. A "juror" is a member of a jury. It was also an illegal jury for two reasons. For one, Phoenix tells the jurors that Kristoph was the killer. Secondly, Thalassa was the mother of Apollo (the defense attorney) and Trucy (his co-counsel), when a juror cannot have any connection to a case or anyone involved in the case.
    2. The games are in Japan: While the Western localization is set in an alternate Los Angeles, the Japanese versions of the games are set in Japan. Japan does not have trial by jury; it hasn't had it since 1943. Additionally, the majority of AA fans are Japanese; they would have little reason to ask for juries.
    3. It would be fan service and nothing else: I like SOJ, but it still feels like fan service to me. I once heard that early concept art of Rayfa had her in a hoodie, like a typical American teenager. This implies that Capcom was going to have AA6 take place entirely in America originally. However, fans wanted Maya to return, so Capcom created a fictional nation of spirit mediums called Khura'in that happened to have the worst legal system ever. Additionally, fans wanted an Apollo sequel, which led to a rather strange plot development. In the final game, Phoenix travels to Khura'in and learns about its shitty legal system, while Apollo and Athena stay home. Then, a strange role reversal occurs at the end, with Apollo leading a legal revolution in Khura'in and Phoenix returning home. Speaking of Athena, I have a feeling that Capcom's horrible handling of her in SOJ was also fan service. While many Western fans love her, she is hated by Japanese fans (possibly because Japanese fans like Apollo way too much). My point is, I don't want a game that's 90% fan service, especially if it genuinely harms the quality of the game. I'm not saying it will harm the game's quality, but I once heard something in second grade that has since stuck: "Please all and you will please no one."

    Granted, I still have yet to play DGS. Due to the difficulty of downloading and patching DGS, my brother and I plan to wait until Capcom officially localizes the game, whenever that happens. However, there is hope. In fact, there have been several recent leaks about it, but I'm not sure when the localization will release. For all we know, it might not be here until Christmas.

    submitted by /u/AnythingMasterGabe
    [link] [comments]

    Homies

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 12:09 PM PDT

    traced over some of my favourites part 2 + shading this time. hope you like it :)

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 10:38 AM PDT

    I dubbed an Ace Attorney comic, check it out!

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 03:32 PM PDT

    Turnabout Corner Slippers?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 10:31 PM PDT

    Hi! So I'm playing the Apollo justice game, and got stuck in turnabout corner. I think I'm supposed to present a pair of slipper to Emma (which was confirmed after checking the online play through wiki), but she keeps saying I have the wrong evidence. Has this happened to anyone else before? I don't know if it's a bug or if I'm doing anything wrong.

    submitted by /u/yang-an-lzhq
    [link] [comments]

    how would ace prosecutor or ace detective work as a game?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 05:12 PM PDT

    every time i see a poll about a game people want, it almost always includes ace prosecutor or ace detective, but how would they work gameplay wise? how would testimony and going to court work?

    they wouldn't be able to play how a game about a defense attorney plays: being alerted about a case, taking the case, investigating, going to court, objecting to statements that don't line up with fact then finding the true guilty party by presenting evidence.

    with an ace prosecutor game, the first four points remain relatively unchanged. what would have to be acknowledged is if the player character is truthful and cares about justice, or a corrupt asshole who only cares about winning.

    would the defendants be guilty or innocent? would the player know?

    would the player have to object to points made by the defense and bring people to the stand? would you be penalized for objecting to the wrong points and bringing the wrong person to the stand? if not, would there be multiple endings and choices? considering how fucked the legal system is in the aa universe, the chances of you being punished are low.

    would ace detective just be a normal ace attorney investigation with a prosecuter following you around and telling you what to to? would you have to testify and choose what you want to say?

    submitted by /u/Ignniis
    [link] [comments]

    Blizzard interns working on class tuning

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 06:35 PM PDT

    Turnabout Lyrical Mistake: Trial Day 1/2: (Winston's not worth a verse) (objection. lol)

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 05:14 PM PDT

    Here's my ranking of the AA games from 1-6 and AAI

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 06:32 AM PDT

    Im kinda bad at drawing but decided to draw godot. Hope you guys like it!

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 09:22 AM PDT

    Long time fan FINALLY gets around to playing Spirit of Justice. Here are my thoughts.

    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 10:42 AM PDT

    A few days ago I made a post expressing frustration at Spirit of Justice's inconsistent focus on family and I felt it sparked some interesting discussion. Now that I've finished Turnabout Time Traveler, I thought I'd share my thoughts on the game as a whole.

    A bit of background. I've been an Ace Attorney fan since 2007. I started with the newly-released Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, and immediately went back and played the original trilogy afterward. Ever since, I played every Ace Attorney game (and Ghost Trick) right when they were released... until Spirit of Justice. By that point I'd grown frustrated with the current writing team and just kind of fell out of the series. Coming back after half a decade was really refreshing though and allowed me to enjoy Spirit of Justice quite a bit in spite of some criticisms I still had.

    1. The Foreign Turnabout - Perfectly serviceable tutorial case. It doesn't reach the heights of 3-1 or 4-1, but it was certainly better than the likes of 2-1. I basically liked all the characters. Ahlbi (and Shah'do!) as well as the culprit were all fun, and Rayfa seemed interesting. Even Gaspen Payne was better justified here than in DD, though in general I find the character rather pointless considering he's supposed to be a "dark" Winston but is basically the same. My only real criticism is it takes a bit too long to get going. Every other AA game does a better job at throwing you right into the action. (5/10)
    2. The Magical Turnabout - My favorite case of the game. The writers clearly took people's criticism of Trucy's role in Dual Destinies to heart and gave her a lot more to do here. Heck, they even fixed up her character model. The case was very reminiscent of AJAA, though I have to admit it avoided a lot of opportunities for any actually meaningful nods (like Zak, Thalassa, and Valant on the Grammarye poster go unmentioned). Loved all the characters and loved how it played with the standard Ace Attorney formula by having only one investigation and one trial. That caught me by surprise. Unfortunately, I found this case to be the most predictable, managing to call every twist the moment it was introduced. But the execution of it all was so fun I still had a great time. Also Kira Buckland voicing Trucy was a treat since I remember when she'd voice her in fan projects back in the day. (8/10)
    3. The Rite of Turnabout - Wasn't a big fan of this one. I'll admit I enjoyed it more than most other "third cases" in the series, and it benefits from being the ONLY true two-day case in the game. I liked the investigation segments a lot, and Rayfa ended up being a really fun "assistant". Her dynamic with Phoenix was new, and the case set up some great character development from her. I also liked Maya's characterization, what little there was, but her being the defendant AGAIN has really stopped being interesting to me at this point. It was cool to finally SEE how spirit channeling works, though, and I really liked the ending with Tahrust and Beh'leeb. It was the only case aside from 2-3 to not end in a huge breakdown from the culprit and that change of pace really made the emotion of the scene work. (6/10)
    4. Turnabout Storyteller - The filleriest of filler cases in the entire series goddamn. Even 2-3 and 3-3 added more to the overarching narrative of the game. This one seemed to only exist as a haphazard attempt to justify characters and concepts from Dual Destinies still sticking around. Also I don't get why they set it less than two days after 6-3. Nahyuta being able to travel back to the U.S. so quickly and prepare a case really undermines Phoenix's justification for not returning home when Trucy was in danger. Ironically though, I actually quite liked the mystery itself. The whole thing was less outlandish than the others which hearkened back to the original trilogy, Uendo and Geiru were both interesting witnesses, and this was the only case where I failed to predict the twists in advance. Possibly my favorite mystery in the game, despite being a case I generally don't care for. (7/10)
    5. Turnabout Revolution (part 1) - Since 6-5 is basically two loosely connected cases, I feel it makes sense to separate them. Having Apollo face Phoenix in court is something I've always wanted to happen, but it was always held back by the fact that neither character was a prosecutor (and considering prosecutors are officials who work with law enforcement, it would be a lot harder to fudge than Edgeworth taking up defense in 3-5). So making the whole thing start as a civil trial that turned into a murder case was a stroke of brilliance. Unfortunately, I think Phoenix's motivation here was the least interesting way they could have done it. We've seen before that kidnapping Maya definitely would compel him to take the side of a villain in court, but it just makes the whole thing feel like a weaker rehash of 2-4. It would have been much more interesting if both men genuinely believed in their clients, or if Phoenix was manipulating the whole situation like he did in AJAA. Also Trucy not taking sides makes sense from a narrative standpoint, but I'd really have liked it if she could have been involved somehow. Still, I have to admit the whole thing was an exciting ride and I would die to protect Armie Buff. (8/10)
    6. Turnabout Revolution (part 2) - I'm really of two minds on this case. It affirms that I love Rayfa as a character, but no matter how hard it tried, I just couldn't care about Nahyuta. Also the game misses its last chance to make Maya important as a person and simply uses her again as a spirit channeling plot device. All in all, the thing feels like a watered-down combination of 1-4 and 3-5. I'm glad the game didn't chicken out and make Phoenix handle the final trial, but for whatever reason I just couldn't buy this as a great victory for Apollo in the ways 1-4, 2-4, or 3-5 were for Phoenix. I also complained about the ending in my other thread, but in short I don't like how the game treats Apollo staying in Khura'in as an important decision based on his family, while ignoring that he also has family in the States. I did like how the game used the Divination Seances here, and they really justified their existence in this case (I even liked how they used prosopagnosia, despite the fact that the disorder really doesn't work that way). (6/10)
    7. Turnabout Time Traveler - Perfect material for a bonus case. I normally would be annoyed at how it writes out all the newer characters, but as a fun bonus celebrating the original trilogy, it was wonderful. It's crazy to think that the last time Phoenix, Maya, and Edgeworth all stood in court like this together was 1-3. Maya was much better utilized here, managing to still be silly while also showing true character growth (Phoenix comparing her to Mia warmed my heart). I also liked Edgeworth affirming his character growth by explicitly putting the truth above victory, though it's weird that Phoenix was still surprised by it at this point. Didn't the two overhaul the entire law system together? I loved Larry here, though a tiny part of me was disappointed that him being single disproves an outlandish ship I had back in the day. But I knew it was never going to be canon anyway so that's fine. I was a little let down by the difficulty of the case, but that was my own fault for hoping for something more akin to 1-5. I loved the new characters, I thought it was both romantic and tragic, and everyone was charming. A large improvement on Dual Destinies' DLC case IMO. (8/10)

    Overall Thoughts:

    • Writing-wise, still nowhere near as good as even the weakest written Shu Takumi game (probably JFA, AJAA or MAYBE PLvsAA though I feel his hands were tied there), but a massive improvement on every other Ace Attorney game I've played. I was engaged the entire way through and even when I had issues with the direction the game took, I was usually still able to enjoy the ride.
    • Graphics were beautiful. This was the best looking Ace Attorney game I've played, and I was so impressed both how well they translated 2D characters like Ema and Trucy, and how they took advantage of the 3D to make new characters. Comparing it to the otherwise aesthetically impressive PLvsAA was like night and day.
    • Investigations were a huge step up from the last game. I loved how many 3D-crime scenes there were. It was funny but I was so used to the 2D ones that I occasionally got stuck because I didn't notice the arrows on the side of the touch screen to rotate my view.
    • Music was pretty good. I'm finding Iwadare's work is getting a little stale to me after doing so many games, but I had no glaring issues with what he put out here.
    • The cast has grown too large. Dual Destinies worked really hard to introduce Athena and Blackquill and I felt it did a good job. But now just one game later they're largely irrelevant to the story. Ema and especially Maya mostly exist as plot devices, and Klavier's role has been reduced even further than his already pitiful cameo in Dual Destinies. The game tries to juggle characters from the Phoenix era, AJAA, and DD, as well as adding new ones, and it struggles do to so.
    • Divination Seances were a really interesting mechanic. They're definitely my favorite mechanic the series has added since the Perceive ability or maybe even the Psyche-Locks. I worry it would feel forced to bring them back in the future since they're so linked to Khura'in and Rayfa but they worked here.
    • Speaking of, Psyche-Locks were still neutered like in DD. It definitely prevented me from getting stuck but I would have liked more challenge.
    • Perceiving is about the same as it was in Dual Destinies. Too easy and arbitrary in this game, but it was too hard and esoteric in AJAA. I don't know how to properly balance it so I can accept the direction they took here.
    • I don't like the Mood Matrix. I didn't like it in Dual Destinies and it's even more tacked on here.

    I'd give the game a 7/10. A fun ride from start to finish with a couple great moments, but it would be below the midpoint on a list of my Ace Attorney rankings. But I think there are things to enjoy about even the weaker Ace Attorney games. I'm not itching to replay it now, but I can definitely see myself playing it again someday. Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/IssunTheWanderer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment