• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 27, 2020

    Ace Attorney Recreated "The conversation my son and I will have on Christmas Eve" in Objection.lol

    Ace Attorney Recreated "The conversation my son and I will have on Christmas Eve" in Objection.lol


    Recreated "The conversation my son and I will have on Christmas Eve" in Objection.lol

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 03:34 PM PST

    Ho ho ho, Larry Christmas.

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 02:39 PM PST

    Merry Christmas! (I know I'm late, sorry)

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 06:55 AM PST

    here's my personal revised/AA7 Franziska edit

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 08:29 PM PST

    Drew the prosecutor with my favorite theme in the whole series: Godot!

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 10:07 PM PST

    Ron DeLite drawn in my middle school art style.

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 11:25 AM PST

    Prosecutors Vibing

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 06:59 PM PST

    (Potential spoilers for T&T finale) Well thats it i finally completed the entire trilogy this the best gaming experience I've ever had with funny, smart, dumb, characters and well Edgeworth is Edgeworth this was so much fun and now its time to play the rest of the games

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 07:56 AM PST

    Objection! (by me)

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 12:00 PM PST

    What do you think about Sherlock Holmes?

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 02:35 PM PST

    Tbh i love that guy. I like to think that he arrives to truth before anybody else, and his deductions are wrong just for lulz

    submitted by /u/HiAttila
    [link] [comments]

    Spirit of Justice Retrospective

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 08:35 PM PST

    So, I just finished Spirit of Justice. I have… a lot of thoughts. I have not played the DLC case yet but I wanted to get my thoughts down for the main game before I forgot. Strap in folks, this is a long one.

    Khura'in

    -Listen, this is the elephant in the room with this game. My thoughts on Khura'in are not super simple so I thought it deserved its own section. My issue with Khura'in is not necessarily in its execution. I've stated before on multiple occasions that I very much dislike the supernatural parts of AA, so naturally, I disliked the religious/spirit channeling parts of Khura'in. However I must admit that I feel like they were able to weave a pretty engaging political drama, particularly in 6-3, as we see the people's attitude towards the Defiant Dragons and the revolution begin to change. I thoroughly enjoyed Dhurke, Rayfa, Inga, and Datz as characters, and I even sort of bought Apollo's relationship with Dhurke, which is pretty impressive considering I expected to not buy it in the slightest. I have issues, but overall I thought Khura'in and its characters were executed pretty well.

    -My issue with Khura'in is in principle. It shouldn't exist. Point blank, period. It's an overly-complicated way to (1) reintroduce Maya (while also managing to neuter one of the more underrated aspects of her character in the Trilogy, the idea that she would have to take the responsibility of being the leader of Kurain Village at such a young age), and (2) to yet again give Apollo a hastily crafted emotional connection to the final case. Suspension of disbelief is a very real thing when playing Ace Attorney - you must be expected to shrug some things off at certain points. But when Phoenix happens to travel to the one country in the world where the DC Act exists and lawyers are literally the most despised people in the country, and then immediately finds his life to be in danger, my suspension of disbelief was put to its absolute limits. It's a good thing 6-2, a case which felt much more like "normal Ace Attorney," came right after 6-1 and allowed my suspension of disbelief to heal enough that I could enjoy the rest of the game. The DC Act is pretty contrived and lame, but I must admit that they did a good job of using it to give us an emotional case in 6-3 that gives a legitimately good in-universe reason for the revolution to start gaining steam. Other than that, its existence is there to artificially raise the stakes of this game even more than they were in DD, somehow.

    -Now, here's the thing. I know I just got done writing a paragraph on why Khura'in shouldn't exist. And while I still believe that, I also felt a nagging thought persisting in the back of my mind, not just during 6-5 but throughout the entire game: "This could've been a pretty good trilogy ending if they had bothered to plan any of this out." I don't think Apollo being raised in Khura'in as the son of a lawyer and having to carry on his legacy is in itself a terrible idea, and the fact that Apollo was referenced to be an orphan as far back as AJ (I think) actually turns that into a pretty decent-to-good idea. Having to dethrone a corrupt regime and kickstart a revolution is another matter, but we'll table that for now. My point with all of this is that you can probably leave the vast majority of Spirit of Justice unchanged, and have it be a satisfying, memorable, appropriate ending for Apollo and his character across these three games. Dual Destinies would need a major revamp, and there would need to be many more references to Apollo missing his father, or feeling out of place like he never belonged in the United States, or something that would make the reveal that he is essentially Khura'inese feel worth it. This is easily within the realm of possibility. It also would've been a lot easier to swallow had 5-5 not done such an obvious retcon of Apollo's past to give him heightened emotional stakes in the final case, which is exactly what 6-5 does as well, which definitely tips the writers' hands that they had no real vested interest in Apollo in the first place.

    Good Stuff

    -6-2 is not only the peak of this game, it is the peak of both 3DS games and its only real competition for peak of the entire second trilogy is 4-1. It is a near-perfect case. Retinz is not only a top 10 series villain but an easy top 20 series character, we get actual characterization and depth for Trucy (shame that it came two games late), even Nahyuta is pretty good in this case and it serves as a pretty good introduction for his character in the rest of the game. Bonny and Betty bring a totally unique dynamic to the series and help to add much of the intrigue of the case, and the involvement of Mistree, Mr. Reus, and all of the Gramaryes is another quality retcon from Capcom and a relief to see as someone who enjoyed AJ. Speaking of Apollo, he's fine in this case (just like every other case in this trilogy, but hoooo boy do I have thoughts on that that I'll get to, likely in another post), but I think something from 6-2 that gets overlooked is we get to see some development in terms of he and Athena's friendship, not just their working relationship, that makes the final scenes of 6-5 hit that much harder.

    -Rayfa and Dhurke are two fantastic characters. Rayfa's arc in particular is something I thought was done well, you can see her progression from outright hate in 6-1, to distrustful but also curious in 6-3, then to confused and bewildered in the end of 6-3/beginning of 6-5, to outright supporting Phoenix and Apollo by the end of the trial. Dhurke is another character I thoroughly enjoyed - the relationship between him and Apollo is one of three things (the others being Armie Buff and Paul Atishon walking off the stand) that saved the civil trial from being absolutely awful and instead just made it pretty bad. This is also one of the most cold-blooded moments in the series. Contrived? Unrealistic? Over the top? You bet. But dang it if I didn't get chills and start inwardly cheering when I saw Dhurke scare off Inga like that.

    -The Reveal - aka when we find out that Dhurke has been dead this entire time - is great, as many have pointed out. Apollo's reaction to this feels genuine and no matter how cheesy it was for him to slam his head full-throttle onto the defense's bench like a four year old who was just told they can't have any more apple juice, I really sympathized with him in that moment. That entire situation, which along with Amara's "return" makes up the crux of the middle section of the criminal trial (referred to as 6-5b from here on out), did a very good job of keeping me engaged during what could've turned out to be a long and uninspiring trial sequence.

    -I was pleasantly surprised at how well they did on Maya's personality - a good mix of a more mature Maya but also one who still has those childish parts of her personality poke out. I even think they did a good job on certain sprites of making her seem a bit older appearance-wise. I do really wish they had taken more of a risk with her appearance and given her a new hairstyle, new clothes, or something to make me think something other than, "oh it's 3D Trilogy Maya." They did the same thing with Pearl too but she technically appeared in DD first so I shouldn't even be talking about her

    -I've never wanted to give an Ace Attorney character a hug more than Armie Buff. Poor kid deserves it after all the crap she went through. I'd love for her to be brought back in some capacity in AA7 or beyond.

    -For someone who doesn't find Larry all that funny, I found Datz to be hilarious. I can't remember laughing at character models so much. His appearance as Ihmus just… clicked so well for me. The "Datz faces" coupled with that appearance - hair covering his eyes, big bushy beard - just worked so well together, I was actually a little disappointed when the "real" Datz showed up and we didn't get to see any more of Ihmus.

    -I gotta give it to them, they actually improved on Phoenix's 3D model from DD. The biggest change I noticed was in this sprite. It doesn't really come across in these gifs but if you've played DD and SoJ you know the models I'm talking about.

    -Ga'ran's takedown, specifically her line about wanting a lawyer, is incredibly satisfying. (This in no way makes her a better character or a better final villain.)

    Nahyuta

    -That's right, Yuty's getting his own section baybee. Nahyuta is easily the most controversial character that SoJ produced (although most of us can at least agree that his theme slaps). Most people either think he's a complex character whose antics and bad attitude help make his character better, or they're JC. So where do I land on this incredibly hot-button, love-him-or-hate-him, no-middle-ground type character?

    -...down the middle. Nahyuta's a much different prosecutor than the ones we're used to, being much more reliant on arguments rather than evidence. He's also a much bigger jerk than any other prosecutor in the series. While this sets up his character rather nicely, they bungle the conclusion of his character so hard that it makes the other parts of his character worse because of it. This is actually a fantastic microcosm of the Apollo Trilogy in general, something with great potential that ultimately doesn't live up to the promise. I'm going to add that I think donuter's writeup over on r/AARankdown on Nahyuta was incredible and I'll be referencing some of the stuff he said. My main source on the "Nahyuta sucks'' side of things are JC's rants writeups on him, so go and find some of those if you'd like. His SoJ Cast in Review post is a great place to start.

    -Nahyuta in 6-2 is good, great even. While I maybe would've enjoyed the trial even more if there was an Edgeworth or Blackquill-style prosecutor there, and not someone calling us a pepper every five seconds, I have to admit that the murder/manslaughter trap that Nahyuta laid in this case was excellent. It's also good that our introduction to Nahyuta is in America, because we get a chance to see his personality detached from the home field advantage he clearly enjoys in Khura'in. 6-2 is also when we find out that Apollo knows Nahyuta, and the start of something the game tries and fails to set up, but we'll get there.

    -We see Nahyuta use that home field advantage to great effect in 6-3, absolutely stomping Phoenix on trial day 1 and in general knowing exactly how to play to both the Khura'inese Judge and the Khura'inese gallery. He loses most of this steam in 6-4 and while he still appears menacing, the fact that he loses to Athena, who the game goes out of its way to let us know is still a rookie and not very good at her job, is not a good look for him. I remember feeling like Nahyuta's arguments in 6-4 seemed… emptier? Like he really did just kinda show up, insult Athena a bunch, and then leave after she handed him another L. 6-4 is also when we get Nahyuta trying to trigger Athena's PTSD, so that's great.

    -Now we get to the big one, which is Nahyuta in 6-5b, aka the conclusion to his character arc. It's… I don't even know to be honest. Him refusing to take Dhurke's attorney's badge is pretty cheesy but something I can easily overlook, it's Ace Attorney after all. I also think that's a scene that would work a lot better with live actors as opposed to trying to convey it with text. For the first part of 6-5b, Nahyuta is just… there? Ga'ran is the lead prosecutor, and while every zoomed out shot features Nahyuta standing there at the bench with her, it's almost like those shots are there to remind us that yes, Nahyuta is in fact at this trial. I could go into super depth here about Nahyuta's reaction to The Reveal, or whatever, but honestly I can't be bothered. I liked 6-5, but I'm just so tired of thinking about it. Go read donuter's writeup if you want that stuff.

    -Nahyuta's glove toss and fully voice acted delivery of "A dragon never yields," is fantastic. Love it. Immaculate moment. The problem is what that scene tries to do. As JC has pointed out numerous times, at the last second, the game tries to handwave away all of the legitimately bad-person-stuff that Nahyuta has done by saying "oh, this was never the real Nahyuta, he was just under Ga'ran's thumb to protect Rayfa." If the game meant to show us that Nahyuta is just a broken man, or actually feels remorse over his actions, it sure as heck didn't come across clear enough. No one in-game confronts Nahyuta about his actions or words, and even Nahyuta himself says nothing about it. All of which leads me to believe that, yes, the game is actually trying to tell me that all of the stuff he did over the course of SoJ was just an act that can be dropped at the flick of a switch. This explanation has major problems, like the fact that the stuff he did while putting up this "act" was bad enough that I feel like Phoenix, Apollo, and Athena deserve an apology from him at the very least. If the intention truly was to show that Nahyuta is just a broken man who has developed his jerky personality out of despair and as a defense mechanism, well, as I said, that was most certainly not communicated clearly enough.

    -It becomes pretty clear by the end of 6-5 that the writers want Nahyuta to be the Edgeworth to Apollo's Phoenix. And like… they just shouldn't be able to ask that of us. Nahyuta goes against Apollo for a grand total of 1 trial before 6-5. Phoenix and Edgeworth face off directly in three trials of the Trilogy (1-2, 1-3, 2-4), and Edgeworth also is a huge part of two other cases (1-4, 3-5). There are five cases where Phoenix and Edgeworth are interacting, and their relationship develops from one where Edgeworth is cool with convicting Phoenix of a crime he didn't commit to one where Phoenix is willing to trust him with just about everything. This feels earned. It feels well-developed. There simply isn't enough time where Nahyuta and Apollo interact for the writers to ask us to consider that relationship on the same level as Phoenix and Edgeworth, and you cannot make up for that lack of time by saying "oh by the way they were foster brothers."

    Bad Stuff

    -6-1 is probably the worst case in the game. It's really freaking long. Pees'lubn is a fine enough witness whose gimmick wears thin too quickly - although I guess you could say the amount of time it takes for Phoenix to prove Ahlbi's innocence is supposed to show how the odds are stacked against him in Khura'in. This actually would've been a pretty good storytelling decision had the game not already devoted 20 minutes to telling us how much the odds were stacked against Phoenix in Khura'in. There's no point in showing us something if you've already told it.

    -me @ gaspen payne

    -I debated where to put 6-4 here, but since my "Meh" section was replaced with Nahyuta, I won't hesitate to stick it here. That's not to say that there aren't good moments in this trial. Everyone loves Simon literally shaking Athena, and the moment where Athena's promising argument of Owen being the killer is instantly pulverized when it's revealed that Owen is five is a fantastic one. Speaking of Owen, Uendo is obviously great and is on the Luke Atmey level of having to carry their case on their back. Athena and Simon's interactions are good and do a good job of solidifying their big brother-little sister dynamic. That's about all the good I have to say for this trial. Geiru is a fairly meh sympathetic killer to me, Nahyuta probably has his worst and jerkiest appearance in 6-4, and Bucky is essentially invisible. And of course, removed from Simon, Athena's appearance in this case is incredibly disappointing in that apparently Athena has learned nothing of how to become a better lawyer since DD, and most of the development she went through in that game has been tossed out of the window. This makes it clear to me that the writers had no interest in writing or developing Athena outside of Dual Destinies, making her creation and inclusion in that game all the more baffling from a narrative perspective. But don't worry, I'll have more thoughts on that in a different post.

    -The civil trial. Whoo boy. Listen, I get that the Apollo Trilogy did a bad job of developing Apollo as a lawyer (either that or I was too uninvested in him as a character to notice when he did), and so they needed to tell us, "hey guys look, Apollo's like a really good lawyer now!!!" The problem is they already did that with the scene where Phoenix and Apollo call each other right before the 6-2 trial. Remember how earlier I said there's no point in showing us something if you've already told it? Well guess what, there's also no point in telling us something if you've already told it. There's no need for Apollo to beat Phoenix in court to prove he's a better lawyer than him if Phoenix has already explicitly told the audience he trusts Apollo's skill as a lawyer. By giving Apollo a vote of confidence before defending Trucy, Phoenix is in essence telling us that Apollo should now be considered to be a lawyer on his level, so to make Apollo have to beat Phoenix in court is unnecessary in the first place.

    -There are a decent amount of people that say that Phoenix cooperating with Inga and Paul is character assassination. I won't go that far, but I will not hesitate to call it flat-out bad writing. Not only has 2-4 already done this exact same scenario (and much better at that), but by this point we are on the final case of the game and Maya has still done nothing except for being a defendant (again), somehow being allowed to be a defense assistant (again) despite being the accused, and getting herself captured (again). To make Maya our damsel in distress twice in one game, and in the exact same manner as another game did it is… not good.

    -Ga'ran is a bad final villain. This is not a revelation, and has been talked about ad nauseum, so I won't elaborate too much. I did find it hilarious that as I was planning on making this writeup, I was going to make a Wicked Stepmother joke about when she changes into her prosecution getup, until I realized that because Rayfa is actually Amara's daughter, Ga'ran literally is a Wicked Stepmother. In case you were wondering where subtlety landed on Capcom's priority list for writing modern Ace Attorney, there's your answer.

    -Amara is a poorly written character. This has also been talked about quite a lot, so again I will not elaborate too much. I'm going to quote Vogel's cut of Amara cause I feel like it's a good line that basically summarizes Amara's entire character.

    She's the character in the series where there's the biggest gap between how likable she's supposed to be and how unlikable she actually is, which indicates very bad writing.

    We're told Amara is graceful and likable and everyone adored her, and when she shows up, she's??? None of these things??? She's arrogant and stuck up and holier-than-thou and none of this is brought up or questioned by anybody. The fact that it is mentioned by nobody in-game leaves us to believe that the game really does want us to view Amara how everyone else does, and there is just nothing in her personality that supports that view of her. There isn't even a chance for her to say "oh my bad lol I was just acting like that while Ga'ran was holding my daughter hostage now I can be the real me" at the end of the trial cause she gets shot and has to be taken to the hospital instead of eating two more bullets and scaring off her shooter with nothing but a glare like a real G would do. Also, when she first appears on the stand, there is literally no mention of the fact that Apollo is seeing his foster mom for the first time in 15-20 years, not even in Apollo's inner dialogue.

    -I was going to devote another bullet point to why Amara even went along with Ga'ran's scheme in the first place, or why Ga'ran let Amara live, but like I said before, I'm just so stinking tired of thinking about 6-5. It has so many convoluted twists and turns that it turns the criminal trial into a confusing mess that gets really hard to keep track of. They should've made the civil trial 6-4, and then given the criminal trial two days to let us sort through all of the stuff.

    -Apollo should've said "a dragon never yields" fully voice acted like Nahyuta. Although with how disappointing his interjections are, maybe it's for the best.

    Conclusion

    -Told you it was gonna be long.

    -TL;DR: SoJ is a good game that has the best "filler" case in the series. It has a lot of potential and ends up pulling off the execution of a pretty bad idea much better than it has any right to. Of course, there are many, many things that are still wrong with it, particularly at the end, where the decisions it makes with its character are often the ones that make the least sense. Its highs were higher and its lows were lower than Dual Destinies, but because its highs (see: 6-2) are insanely high, I'll give it a slight edge over a game that in hindsight, I found rather boring and uninspiring.

    -Final Ranking: 7.5/10

    -I will have an updated character tier list, as well as my first edition of a case tier list, posted once I finish the DLC case. I also have some more posts prepared on Apollo, Athena, and maybe even Phoenix throughout the Apollo Trilogy and how each of those characters could have been handled in a better way, so look for those soon.

    submitted by /u/LlamaTheG0AT
    [link] [comments]

    Lying Funk! (Ace attorney X Uptown funk)

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 04:07 PM PST

    List of rules in Prosecutor's office

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 04:54 AM PST

    Well, i've recently read "The Things Dr Bright Is Not Allowed To Do At The Foundation " and i thought it would be funny to do something similiar in AA universe so here we go

    1. Prosecutor Blackquill is not allowed to make Jojo references in the official documents
      1.2 Neither is he allowed to make Jojo references in the courtroom
      1.3 You know what? Prosecutor Blackquill is not allowed to make Jojo references
    2. Prosecutor Debeste Prosecutor Gavin Prosecutor von Karma Prosecutor Blackquill Any prosecutor born after year 1995 ANY prosecutor is not allowed to use words "Pog" and "Poggers" in the official documents
      2.1 Or anywhere else
      2.1.1 Please
    3. To the person who made this stupid meme. I will find you. And for your information, I dont hate WAA
      3.1 Neither do "All my homies" (what does that even mean?)
    4. Prosecutor Sahdmadhi is not allowed to say that Plumed Punisher is better show than Stell Samurai
      4.1 Or mention Plumed Punisher at all
      4.2 I will get violent
      4.3 Pl*med P*nisher
    5. I wont take "we live in a society" as an excuse for anything. Again
    6. Prosecutor Godot is not allowed to offer Simon Keyes special priviliges as an exchange for playing main character in his homemade remake of Joker (2019)
      6.1 I dont care if he was "born for this"
    7. Prosecutor Gavin will immediately cease making "cringe complications", "bloopers" and "funny moments" out of official documents
      7.1 By the way, why is "cringe comp nr. 3" just bunch of screenshots from my social media?
    8. Prosecutor Godot is not allowed to use office phone to call WAA at night and ask Phoenix "is his fridge running"
      8.1 Or any other similiar joke
      8.2 Ok, this one was pretty funny. You can do this again, but i doubt he'll fall for this again
      8.2.1 He did. And this time it was somehow even funnier
    9. No, adopting Mr. Justice is not a "new secular tradition". You dont have to do this to be a full fledget lawyers
      9.1 Poor guy had enough dads in his life
    10. While being interested in love life of your friends is understandable, please restrain from "shipping" members of WAA and Prosecutor's Office during working hours
      10.1 Even Justicykes
      10.2 Even Narumayo
      10.3 Even Emapollo
      10.4 What is Narumitsu?
    11. Dont "ship" Narumitsu anywhere, at any time. Dont even think about it. I will know
      - Chief Prosecutor Edgeworth
    submitted by /u/HiAttila
    [link] [comments]

    Video(s) i watched on youtube a long time ago about the adventures of gumshoe, trying to find it again.

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 12:01 AM PST

    A long, long, time ago on youtube i used to watch these videos on youtube about gumshoe that i kinda forgot. I recently bought the triliogy so i was wondering about what i used to watch a long time ago, so i tried looking it up but to me atleast it looks like it has been wiped off the face of the internet.

    I think it was called The (mis)adventures of gumshoe or something like that. It was like this michinima style animation in the style of ace attorney (ofc) following the adventures of gumshoe. This was so long ago i barely remember the premise. I think this was in one or two videos but thats all i got. If anyone remembers and im just being stupid PLEASE link it.

    submitted by /u/Mus_ket
    [link] [comments]

    Severe crashing problem on JFA

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 08:15 PM PST

    Recently got a micro SD thing on amazon with a ton of old DS games on it and among them is the ace attorney trilogy… nice little opportunity to culture myself, and must say, really starting to get the hype hahaha. Unfortunately… Justice For All specifically just suddenly became completely unplayable out of nowhere. Was in the second case hearing from the second witness(Lotta Hart describing what she saw in the channeling chamber), and the game began crashing with sporadic timing, forcing me to reset and start over each time. Tried using save points constantly, making progress inch by inch, until the game just completely keeled over and now always goes down within seconds of leaving the main menu, whether I pick up from my save point, the mid-chapter checkpoint, or the very beginning of the game. It's absolutely baffling to me that this game of all things has such issues… doesn't strike me as a particularly taxing one to run. I tried jumping to a different save slot(bootleg privileges) and using a different console, same problem even after wiping the progress I made. None of the other games have had problems so far, I'm led to believe the problem lies in the game itself and not the console or game collection as a whole. Is this a thing that happens commonly with these games? And more importantly is there some way around it? I genuinely do want to experience these games but having an awful damn hard time of it atm 😔

    submitted by /u/Lucrayzor
    [link] [comments]

    Weekly Poll [22]: Which case from the first game has your favourite artwork?

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 02:47 PM PST

    Recently got a switch lite and I saw the Ace attorney trilogy for the switch on sale just wondering if it’s a good game?

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 12:26 PM PST

    I've never played the Ace Attorney games but I noticed they had a professer Layton crossover and I loved playing those games on my DS. I guess I'm just wondering how hard it is and if you would recommend it ? It's hard to find good descriptions of it online. I typically enjoy puzzle games, Pokémon games and most Mario type games.

    submitted by /u/Lu232019
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about playing DGS on MacBook

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 01:53 PM PST

    Hi! Merry Christmas to everybody :)

    I am wondering has anyone managed to playing DGS on MacBook? I have installed Citra, but it always quits unexpectedly. I have looked up some guides related to this issue, but nothing works.

    Just wondering is there any other way to play DGS on MacBook?

    Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/WarmEconomics2405
    [link] [comments]

    I played investigations 1 and liked it, did you?

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 05:56 AM PST

    Question: Do the google play versions of the Ace Attorney games require internet to play?

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 12:56 PM PST

    I was thinking about getting some more AA games for offline play, but I just wanted to check to make sure before I did anything stupid.

    submitted by /u/TheViperCreeper
    [link] [comments]

    On Ace Attorney Games Length, Creative Ambition and the Competition

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 03:51 AM PST

    Spirit of Justice is one of the most fascinating games I find to talk about.

    It is a game which does a lot right on a technical front. Its visual tricks are outstanding, pushing the models in ways which seem downright superhuman at times for a VN. Its mysteries are built on complex mechanics that interlink, with brilliant tricks that aren't built entirely on gimmicks. And many of the new characters have an immense amount of promise, with interesting layouts that clearly communicate a lot of forethought went into them. It, by all accounts, has the layout of a "good game".

    And this is why its so crushing when a lot of AA6 is complete nonsense. Its story is hopelessly mangled behind tons of badly thought out choices, each more perplexing than the last. It has a clear lack of creative direction which is hopelessly misdirected. And, despite the final case being roughly 14 hours in length, it and much of the rest of the game still feels hopelessly rushed and underdeveloped.

    I've had quite a bone to pick with AA6 to say the least, as I put it up why I developed a dim view of the franchise for several years as I dismissed it as an "afterthought" to other VN, but its left an interesting question in my mind.

    Are the "modern" AA games too limited?

    To discuss the principles of what are "limits" in this context, its important to consider what defines them. The original trilogy were, put simply, not "large" projects. They were made with teams of about ten people (AA1 had just seven staff members), on GBA carts which could only handle about 12 MB of content, all under development times of maybe a year at most.

    This is relevant because it makes the mere existence of a game like AA3 really damn impressive. The game is approximately 200K words long, easily at least 1 MB worth of text (making up about 10% of the cart total). It has highly detailed sprites and animations for over 20 unique characters, consistently the most impressive on the handheld. It includes numerous detailed backgrounds and CGs which include far more detail than ever before, as well as a soundtrack larger than any of the previous games. And it does all this in the interest of making the game to cap off the trilogy feel appropriately large-scale and meaningful.

    Some might call me forgiving towards the original trilogy, but when one considers the insane amounts of limits pressing on the games, I think it comes together for the fact that they are immensely impressive considering what they were made under, and they deserve praise for that. The main plot of AA3 is perhaps the most complexly woven on the handheld, and it is well remembered for all of that.

    One needs to understand this because it speaks to the matter that, as the most "acclaimed" game in the series, AA3 is basically the benchmark of the franchise. So, fast-forward over ten years, and you'd the games to have just continued on from that scale.

    Only they, uh, haven't.

    AA6 is, in many ways, more constrained than the game which was made more than a decade prior. Investigations have been scaled back with fewer areas (AA3 has 24 areas total, AA6 has about 20 excluding the DLC) that are visited far less (most areas in the original trilogy were visited multiple times). The various mechanics are scaled back into only a few specific uses that don't really involve them all that extensively, the big new "see the the vision of the dead" mechanic is used a grand total of five times, the last of which being very brief (meanwhile, the Magatama in 2/3 was used constantly throughout the game). The game scripts are about a similar length to AA3's (most if any discrepancy being from animations taking more time to play out), and are very simplistic in explaining story elements, often leaving crucial character motives to throwaway dialogue.

    This is most obvious in the final cases. Bridge to Turnabout is a sprawling case in many ways. Its story requires you to look through the backstories and motivations of a dozen characters and understand their relationships with each other, along with the movements in a murder across an entire map of areas. Turnabout Revolution Part 2, meanwhile (Part 1 is for all intents and purposes a separate case), has a grand total of three areas introduced, only two of which have to be investigated once each, and its story consists of a single (admittedly excellently constructed) locked room puzzle and an extremely simplistic good verses evil conflict. The case is seemingly enormous, but really, all the player does in practice is...talk to Dhurke a whole bunch, more or less.

    Now, it is here where we get to the biggest pointer here, the nature of comparing Ace Attorney to a very similar game. That game, here, being Danganronpa V3.

    Regardless of ones personal opinion on V3's story (which is unimportant in the scheme of discussion here), it is impossible to deny the immense amount of work put into it. Its main game script is about 600-700K in wordcount, large amounts of which are fully voiced, along with an extensive postgame that takes at least 20 hours to complete (though, admittedly, that part of the game was done by ghost-writers). It also has a full explorable 3D hubworld with over 30 different "static" areas that are given extensive visual details, literally dozens of CGs, multiple minigames and even an entire section of the game built on a completely separate engine.

    V3 was a game which came out just six months after AA6, its worth pointing out, but even putting aside the level of ambition in terms of what the story is trying to do (which is relevant here, make no mistake on that front), it blows the latter out of the stratosphere in terms of the sheer amount of content on display and what it does with it, while at the same time offering a far more complete experience.

    This is not unusual in terms of competition. If one compares the modern AA games to the visual novels/ADV games released in the 2010s, it pretty quickly becomes apparent how paltry the games often are. Besides for Investigations 2 (easily the longest game by script length, by my estimate), none of the games in the franchise have a full five case setup, it always finds a way to cut corners, having one of the cases be comically short and lacking a full investigation setup, skimping on story content in interest of making the game shorter even if it hurts the plot, or twice just splitting a "case" into two episodes for seemingly no reason than because the developers couldn't fit in five mysteries.

    Which is where we come to DGS, the most interesting game in this regard, because it was a story essentially split in two. Originally, the game was supposed to be one experience, but due to apparently "space" constraints, the first game was made as essentially papered together as a jump-starter for a possible "series", leading to a story which barely feels out of the first chapter by the end of the Case 4, and a "conclusion" which doesn't actually resolve anything. Producer Eshiro reportedly had to fight Capcom just to get the second made under the promise of it resolving the story they cut up, and by the end it still feels chopped up in places, including an entire character who appears to have been the remnant of a cut plot arc. Even with all the game does right, it still feels like it could've been more, in many ways, and been a game which truly transcended the franchise.

    It definitely seems that, for whatever reason, Capcom has this policy in play that forces AA's developers to essentially limit the games to what can be constructed in this hyper-specific timeframe, and I'm frankly baffled as to why. Is it money? Because AA has basically more brand value than any VN on the planet to the general public, Danganronpa creator Kazutaka Kodaka even joked as much when V3 was coming out. They are games which actually try to extend themselves, but all AA seems interested in is chasing this illusion of games which are only so impressive because of the limits they were made physically under, yet here we are just posing these arbitrary requirements on them even when the competition is far ahead.

    I'm just saying, if AA7, if it comes out, is a game with a maybe 300K script and minimal voice acting in a world where Danganronpa V3, AI: The Somnium Files, 13 Sentinels and the like actually exist and genuinely challenge people, it feels like AA will become something like Pokemon, a franchise forever dragging its feet with fan support, as the rest of the medium runs circles around it. The franchise has more than enough ability not to do such a thing, and continue being a meaningful work of fiction, but, be it from the capitalist machine, it seems utterly uninterested in doing such a thing.

    Any thoughts here? This one I will admit is a touch rambling, but it's thoughts I felt like sharing.

    submitted by /u/RainSpectreX
    [link] [comments]

    I took the dumbest forum post I could find and plugged it into Ace Attorney

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 12:45 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment